3.08.2004

Nightmare #5. I'm walking up to church, noticing how things have changed since Father Al passed and the new minister took over. Additions have been made to the rectory; it's now a massive stone fortress larger than the church itself. Narrow windows for bows and arrows...that's odd. Father Al is standing outside the rectory, surveying the scene. His hair is white and thin, but his handshake is still like a bear. I'm about to tell him it's good to see him alive again when I notice the commotion. People are running here and there in a panic, some running out of the church, others back in carrying bandages. "What's going on," I ask. Father Al says "You better come inside and help." I walk through the side door. Dave Mustaine is there, looking slightly panicked. He's wearing a purple cassock and a crown of thistles. "It's not your birthday, so just try to wing it," he says, pushing me into the chancel of the church. "But I don't know any Winger," I say. I'm standing in front of the entire congregation holding an electric guitar with no idea what to play. So I play Metallica's "One." Cheers rise from the pews, but they melt into angry cries when I reach the part about burning in hell. Prayer books and hymnals are being thrown at me. A Book of Common Prayer hits me in the gut. I'm doubled over. There are wax drippings in the carpet. That's going to be a bitch to get out. I'm going down. The carpet's plush and red.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home